Pollster.com

Articles and Analysis

 

POLL: Rasmussen Colbert as an Independent


A new Rasmussen Reports automated survey of 1,200 likely voters (conducted 10/19 through 10/21) finds:

  • General Election Match-ups:
    Clinton 45%, Giuliani 35%, Colbert 13%
    Clinton 46%, Thompson 34%, Colbert 12%
  • An earlier Rasmussen survey (conducted 10/8 through 10/9) found:
    Clinton 48%, Giuliani 41%
    Clinton 52%, Thompson 37%
  • An even earlier Rasmussen survey (conducted 4/2 through 4/3) found:
    Clinton 46%, Giuliani 37%, Bloomberg 8%

 

Comments
ultrageek:

Is it just me, or is the thought of an All-New-York election with Clinton, Guiliani and Bloomberg, just funny?

____________________

Till:

I love those numbers for Stephen, but something is off. Why would Colbert, essentially the lefty prankster candidate, be taking so many votes from Giuliani?

____________________

DTM:

Till,

One obvious point is demographics: Colbert's supporters tend to be young, and I would bet they are more male than than the typical Democratic profile as well.

A more subtle point is that I am not sure Colbert comes across as a typical lefty. Obviously he makes fun of the Fox News crowd, but I think there is a more libertarian-minded part of the center-right that may find him appealing. And at least some of those people may find Giuliani relatively appealing among Republicans considering his views on social issues.

____________________

DTM - That's true. Colbert's approach is anti-neocon, which appeals to over 70% of the public. And I know there are at least some in that remaining 30% or so that take Colbert literally and think he's for real; otherwise, he never would have been invited to the White House Press Correspondence Dinner.

____________________

CHI:

The Giuliana-Colbert effect is probably due to the large number of undecided voters. It's most likely that the undecideds are more turned off by Clinton, and hence would vote for Giuliani in a normal race. But since they're not sold-out on giuliana, they go for the more entertaining choice as Colbert.

Clinton is pretty polarizing, so it makes sense that her supporters don't change, whereas the rest are more open to choices.

____________________



Post a comment




Please be patient while your comment posts - sometimes it takes a minute or two. To check your comment, please wait 60 seconds and click your browser's refresh button. Note that comments with three or more hyperlinks will be held for approval.

MAP - US, AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY, PR